Sunday, July 13, 2014

Lost

There used to be stars. Somewhere up in darkness they burned once upon a time. Lighting the way ever so clearly. All I had to do was pick one, follow it with the greatest care, and a safe new home was sure to be at the end. That’s how it should be, isn’t it? At least that’s what I assumed. What I hoped. Perhaps that was my first mistake. Or my last. Putting faith in something so insubstantial as light. Fool’s hope they should call it. Who can tell anymore? The shadows cover every area of perception with meticulous obscurity. The dark outside is absolute. An emptiness that cannot be filled yet I want desperately to be complete, a whole that is broken beyond repair. There is no visible way to go. All paths lay hidden and the shadows swallow everything until the only thing recognizable anymore is that I am lost. My worst nightmare, come to soothe me. I don’t think it will disappear. Too absolute in form, to clear in meaning, too sure in existence. It cannot be filled. That’s the nature of voids. Always eating, never filling, always hungry, never full, never to be stopped. Eating through the last bits left of being, the only things I still hold onto and still it slips away with the greatest of ease, the worst of ease. There is nothing to grasp, nothing to hold onto, nothing to keep me here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment